The best DJs and bands are booked well in advance, so be sure to act quickly. To get you started, we’ve put together this list of questions that will help you evaluate a DJ, band, or other entertainer. This list is based on discussion with popular Kelowna wedding DJs, especially Airwaves Music DJs who are considered to be the pioneers in this field.
The Basics + Background Information
- Is my wedding date available?
- How long have you been in business?
- How long have you been performing together (if you’re interviewing a band)?
- How many weddings have you done? How many weddings do you do in an average weekend?
- Do you perform at more than one event in a day?
- Will you be the DJ/bandleader at our wedding?
- Have you done events at my wedding venue?
- What sets you apart from the rest of wedding disc jockeys Kelowna?
- Are there any other services that you provide, such as lighting design or a photobooth?
- Can you provide me with recent couples that I can contact for references?
- Do you have a CD of your music or a video from a prior wedding where you performed?
- Can you assist me in choosing the music for my processional, recessional, father-daughter dance, etc.?
- How extensive is your music library or song list? What genres can you cover?
- How do you keep your music collection up-to-date?
- Are we guaranteed to have the perfomer(s) of our choice at our event?
- If the DJ or one of the band members scheduled for my event is unable to perform for some reason, do you have a backup replacement ready to go?
- Do you take any breaks? What music will be provided during the breaks?
- How many band members will perform that day?
- Do you act as the “emcee” and make all of the announcements?
- How would you define your “style” when making announcements?
- What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?
- Do you take requests from our guests?
- Can we submit a “Do Not Play” list?
Pricing and Payment:
- What is included in the cost of my event?
- Does this include setup and breakdown between ceremony and reception locations?
- How much would you charge for overtime?
- Are there any additional fees that could accrue that I am not taking into account, like travel expenses or charges for special musical requests?
- When will I receive a written contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due? Do you offer a payment plan?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- How far in advance do I need to book you?
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
- Are you insured?
Also, note that in some cases, you may deal with an entertainment agency or representative working on behalf of the musician. You can ask these questions to them as well.